Movie Review 48: Kiki's Delivery Service

Ohayo!

Yep, Back to the Ghibli collection, only a couple left now, Earthsea and Grave of the Fireflies.

But for now, time to review Kiki's Delivery Service

MOVIE REVIEW: Kiki's Delivery Service

Pros:
Oh how I've missed the fun lightheartedness of Studio Ghibli. It's nice to see a movie with basically no adversary. just a spunky young girl trying to make it by as a delivery-er. And she flies.

So, young girl, flying, Talking animal. sounds like Ghibli.

anyway I really enjoyed Kiki, it's a good lighthearted film, one of the stronger films from them. the animation was beautiful and the pacing was slow but not slow enough to be tedious. I liked Kiki as a character, not as much as Nausicaa or Arietty but I still liked her. the rest of the cast (I admittedly watched the English version because I wasn't fully paying attention through it all) was good. I want Jiji as a cat, instead all I get is Sushi. She's asleep on me right now, making it a bit hard to type this.

She's cute though.

Cons:
Jiji was a bit annoying through a bunch of the film, but he got better as it went on.

The forest girl was a little weird. some random girl living in the forest has a murder of crows for pets, and takes Kiki back to her cabin for modeling. Sounds like a pedophilia horror movie waiting to happen.

I was also a little annoyed with the Tombo storyline. he was such a stalker. and it was like a Wheres waldo book, he appeared in every scene, just missing the cane and hat. his friends were all mean, yet after Kiki walks away in a fizzy they're never mentioned again. it's odd she'd have such a strong reaction to them , yet decide to like him anyway.

also the whole Spiderman 2 ish type plot-line of Kiki losing her abilities because she was losing her confidence felt a bit formulaic. the only solace in that was that she didn't fully get them back in the climax.

FINAL VERDICT: 82
I really enjoyed it, not in my top 5, but a nice little film none-the-less.


So there you have it, another review, now onto the sleepsies

Comments