Movie Review 37: Porco Rosso

Ohayo!

Welcome back for yet another Ghibli movie review. at this rater i'll be done with them by the end of the week.

This time it's a movie I had never heard of until I got this set, Porco Rosso. About an anthropomorphic Italian Pig man bounty hunter who flies a Seaplane in the Adriatic sea. hows that for a twist, a Ghibli movie set outside of Japan.

Review!

MOVIE REVIEW: Porco Rosso

Pros:
I'll hand it to Hayao Miyazaki, the dud knows how to do Flight. just like in Nausicaa I was amazed by the flying battles. the speed of the battles were great. I loved the scene of Porco trying to take off in, i think, Milan. Him having to go under the bridges and over boats was great. The scene where Porco gets shot down was really cool, i loved the animation on that entire scene.

The characters were fun, I think it's a staple of of ghibli to have the spunky young girl. they do it well. (nausicaa, mononoke, totoro, arrietty, Poppy Hill, Spirited away, Howls....kinda) and i liked Porco, at first I was disappointed that he was a talking pig, but the fact that he was once a man was cool. i liked the subtle 'Princess and Frog' references.

I liked that the american was shown as a braggart asshole. cuz yeah, that's america.

Cons:
I have this same issue with American films set in foreign countries. Why were the people in Italy speaking Japanese? and the american should have been speaking English. It's a little thing that has always kinda bothered me in movies, but the filmmakers insist on having all the different countries speak the same language. having an american speak his own language while everyone else spoke the established language would have been a good stab at his stubbornness. oh well, im not the director.

The movie was incredibly short. just under an hour and a half. it blew right by. I wish it was a bit longer with more detail about the time period, i couldnt quite nail down if it was Pre WWII or after, I think it was between WWI and WWII somewhere though.

FINAL VERDICT: 88
Beautiful animation, as always, and great aerial scenes, but was half an hour too short.


Next up, hmmm grave of the fireflies or whatever Laputa is. (is that 'the whore' in polish?)

Comments