Movie Review 168: Fantastic 4 (2015)

Fantastic 4

Okay, so where do i start with this one? Well, I'll admit one thing, I really liked the first hour of this movie. Then, well, not so much.

This movie's big problem is in the last act of the movie. I will be bashing it like crazy so if for some reason you are worried about spoilers, well, you are warned.

So I'll start by saying, the first hour or so of this movie is actually pretty good. the interactions between the characters are well done and I genuinely enjoyed it. The focus on Science and technology and grounded reality was fun.

Now I did find it weird that it was set seven years after 2007. I actually asked myself if that was an error. we'll get into that shortly.

It was weird to me that they were all supposed to be about 18 but I brushed that off and went with it.

The actual mechanism was interesting and I liked the whole process of teleporting to a new dimension and back. that all felt realistic and interesting. even the other world was cool to me.

My single favorite scene was the extremely disturbing reveal of their abilities. the scene with Reed crawling towards Ben, with the burning body of Johnny storm in the back ground was terrifying, and I loved it.

Then theres the time skip. Everything goes downhill from there. First off you have a director who has done an absolutely brilliant movie set completely within the point of discovering you have abilities. Yet the movie just completely skips that point. it had so much potential to be a good dark origin story but instead it skips to a year later when every character magically knows the abilities inside out.  this was such a huge dropped ball.

If reed richards is so brilliant why does he not disguise himself when the agents arrive? and just play dumb? or at least not use Captain Nemo as his name when you know Sue will know exactly what that means and find you? how did it take them a year to find him? even with the Bad CGI face changing.

Did Jamie bell even bother doing anything for the Thing? the personality from earlier was completely gone.

Ok, anyway, let's get to the real problem. Doom. I'm not all that against his actual look, I liked the green underlighting and the idea of the suit shrinkwrapping onto him was interesting. was it visually attractive, not exactly.did I ever feel he was a genius or intimidating? not really.

thought the scene of him walking down the hallway exploding heads was awesome, like Elfen Lied awesome.

He then just randomly decides to go back to his world, and flip a switch, and make a giant portal beam. where did that come from? he's spent a year on a desolate, foodless planet just waiting for them to return so he can make a beam that sucks things from our world into his, but then they all get destroyed on his side anyway? his 'plan' made absolutely no sense!

Then there's the fact that he can explode brains but decides to not kill reed richards in a one on one fist fight.

also where was the scene with The Thing dropping from a plane?

Overall this movie was an unbelievable mess after the time skip. I enjoy the first half and unapologetically hated the last half hour. with a passion.

I cannot recommend this to anyone, I almost prefer the originals to this one.

Final Verdict: 14

Comments