TCFF 2015 Movie Review 20: When Marnie Was There

When Marnie Was There

Studio Ghibli is up with Pixar as the best animation companies on the planet. Their latest film, When Marnie was There is another amazing film from the Anime powerhouse.

Say what you want about anime, but when it's made well it is beautiful. This movies is one of the most gorgeously animated movies I've ever seen. The artwork is impressive all the way through and the atmosphere is great.

While I do wish I got to see the japanese language version, the english dub was actually pretty well done. I recognized Hailee Steinfeld instantly. (Don't ask how, I have no idea how) the voices fit, with only the occasional 'line read' mostly when they insisted on helping the viewer know what's going on.

A child doesn't say 'Marnie' every time she looks at a picture of her.

The story was pretty good, a bit hard to follow at times but I liked it. The late movie reveal was actually unexpected and quickly dispelled my 'wait is ghibli showing us a lesbian film?' Notions.

I highly recommend this film to any anime fan or anyone really. Just don't expect action.

Final Verdict: 92

Comments